Monday, March 29, 2010

Slow It Down...

Lately I have been indulging in a lot of SLOOOOOW practice sessions...maybe it's the onset of the warm weather (it's going to be 80 degrees now until January, I can just feel it, and some people love that, I know, but it actually means my least favorite season--summer--goes on FOREVER). Anyhoooo...maybe it's the warmer weather, maybe it's a building "to-do" list, whatever it is, everytime I've set up to practice on my own I've found myself doing only a very few standing poses and primarily a big fat juicy practice on the floor (or on the top of my head, depending on the day)*.

*Because going upside-down is the only drug I allow myself. Wake'n'handstand, people.

And, it's been great. The luxuriousness of it. And as soon as I tuned in to the fact that this was what my body was asking for, I was able to stop feeling guilty about not having a "harder" practice, and actually get engaged with all the many benefits of a restorative workout.

Now, for those of you who have never done this type of practice. You are missing out. I promise you. Spending an hour rolling around on the floor and opening up your hips and doing supported chest openers is like THE BEST THING EVER.;.it's gooey. It's ooey. It's delici-o-so.

If you'd like a jumping off point:

You could try Supported Bridge Pose:








Or, Wide Legged Straddle....



Or you could do good ol' Legs Up The Wall Pose (that's um...that's not the sanskrit name, btw...)


Or you could try Supported Childs Pose:











And you could end with the mother of all relaxing poses...Supported Goddess Pose...

(Yes, those are hand-drawn by yours truly. I am a master of anatomy.)

And you might find, if you give yourself over to the land of "AHHhhhhhhh" that you'll discover some things about your own practice that you did not know before...

Like, for instance, that you've been gripping your butt muscles ALL THE TIME...

Or that you are excellent at inhaling and not so great at exhaling...

Or that childspose isn't as easy as you thought it was...

Or maybe you'll just realize that you haven't relaxed, really relaxed in a very long time, and that your body is now throwing a party in your honor, thanks to this small bit of effort (or non-effort) on your part.

Whatever it is, people, it's gonna be goo-oo-oood.

xox
YogaLia 

No comments: