Saturday, May 7, 2011

I Love This Woman...and So Should You.


Shanti-towners, meet Suzanne Morrison.

Suzanne, meet...everyone.

Ah sigh, I think I've fallen a litlte bit in love with this woman.  I can't...she's just...dreamy.  She's classy and smart and she writes actual novels and she's super smart (did I mention smart?)--she reads and ponders and writes--she's kind of the woman I want to be when I grow up.  Oh, wait.  What's that voice of reason?  I AM grown up? 

Gurgle, gurgle, gurgle.  (that was the sound of my heart sinking).

Suzanne and I actually went to college together, but we were only peripheral friends at that point...both of us spent a lot of time smoking on the steps outside the theatre building, so that's something.  I always sort of felt she was oh, just more of a WOMAN than I was...I always imagined her in dark bars, drinking wine and discussing literature with one of her other more sophisticated lady friends. She dated a grad student, for god's sake, how could I compete with that?

Anyhooo.  It wasn't until years later that our paths crossed again, this time in New York.  We ended up at a dinner party thrown by mutual friends, and she was just as smart (did I mention smart?) and funny as I rembered her.  When we saw each other again, she was just getting out of a long relationship (with aformentioned grad student) and I reminded her that my strongest memory of her from our college days was running into her once in a bar after I had broken up with my then-boyfriend.  She took one look at my dinner of cigarettes and a vodka cranberry and nodded sagely, saying only,  "ah, the break-up diet".  

Love her love her.

And now, all of these years later, Suzanne and I are both on the path of sanely-obsessed yogism, and I think it's safe to say...big fans of each other's work.

So, when I ran across this post today while visiting her blog...I just had to share it.  Because it's just a showcase of what a great f-ing writer she is.  I am so crazy excited for her new book to come out, and this post only made me more so.  And, though I'm not nearly a fancy enough writer to be able to give her a real blurb for her book, I can at least blurbblurbblurb it up here.

This one's for you, Suze:

"Suzanne Morrison is a gifted writer, whose creative well runs very deep.  She is doing all our hearts good by writing.  I haven't even read her book yet, but I already know it's good...that's how good she is.  I am so glad that there is at least one Suzanne Morrison out there in the world, trying to think more and be jerky less and hopefully, maybe, getting herself (and us) just a little bit closer to God in the process."

4 comments:

creativechai said...

Amen! Suzanne is completely glorious. I can't wait to get my hands on her book, and then on all of her subsequent books. So brilliant and so wide open. She is a JOY.

Ooh - my word verification here is "ruliz".

Suzanne Morrison ruliz.

Tina Rowley said...

Amen! Suzanne Morrison is completely glorious. I can't wait to get my hands on her book, and on all of her subsequent books. So brilliant and wide open. She is a JOY.

Aha! My comment verification word was "ruliz".

Suzanne Morrison ruliz.

YogaLia said...

That's right, I published your comment twice! I'm just going to pretend that you and your twin have found each other at last, on my blog. Tina...meet Creative Chai. Creative Chai, meet Tina.

And then the world exploded.

(xoxo I'm so glad you're still reading!)

Suzanne Morrison said...

Nice to meet you, Shanti-towners. And Lia, thank you for turning my sick day into a big sparkly happy day. You too, Creativechai & Tina Rowley. You guys are like a taco truck over troubled waters. xoxo